Sunday, January 20, 2008


The Golden Nile

I am always curious about new ways of doing art. Also I felt I needed some serious cheering up after all the events of last year. So I thought I´d have a look at digital painting. I had heard of it but wasn´t quite sure what kind of an artform it was.

Well I was in for a surprise. I found amazing artworks done with digital media. But how? So I sat a few evenings and read what I could find on the net. I learned that there are programs that really use digital brushes, digital canvases, digital palettes. And after what I read I thought Corel would be the way to go.

So I got myself Corel for Christmas present (which means Santa Claus seems to be living in the same apartment with me, as I got Corel afer talking about it to my hubby).

Here is my first painting with digital media. This is called "The Golden Nile". As reference I used photos we took on our holiday to Luxor, Egypt. The sun is setting behind the ancient Theban hills - we were sailing on a feluka on the river to see it. Right about where the sun went down was the Valley of the Kings. The feeling was amazing, like there was no time... Just the soft flow of the Nile, the amazing golden sunset, the palmtrees at dusk... I wish this painting delivers that feeling.

Done with digital oil colors on Corel.

***

Olen aina utelias tutkimaan uusia tapoja tehdä taidetta. Lisäksi todella tarvitsin piristystä viime vuoden tapahtumien jälkeen. Niinpä päätin ottaa selvää digitaalisesta taiteen tekemisestä. Olin kyllä kuullut siitä, mutten ollut aivan varma, minkälainen taiteen laji se oikein oli.

Olin todella hämmästynyt siitä, mitä löysin. Uskomattoman hienoja taideteoksia, jotka oli tehty digitaalisesti. Opin, että oli olemassa maalausohjelmia, jotka käyttävät digitaalisia pensseleitä, kankaita ja väripaletteja. Kaiken lukemani perusteella päätin, että kokeilisin näistä ohjelmista Corelia.

Sain Corelin joululahjaksi (tämä tarkoittaa, että joulupukki taitaa asua meillä, koska sain ohjelman puhuttuani siitä miehelleni).

Tässä on ensimmäinen maalaukseni, jonka olen tehnyt digitaalisesti. Teoksen nimi on "Kultainen Niili". Lähdekuvina käytin valokuvia, joita otimme lomallamme Luxorissa, Egyptissä. Aurinko laskee Theban muinaisten kukkuloitten taakse - purjehdimme felukalla nähdäksemme auringonlaskun. Kutakuinkin kohdassa, johon aurinko laski, sijaitsee Kuninkaitten laakso. Tunnelma oli uskomaton, aivan kuin aikaa ei olisi ollut olemassakaan... Vain Niilin pehmeä virtaus, uskomattoman hieno kultainen auringon lasku, palmupuut iltahämärässä... Toivon, että tämä maalaus välittää tuon hetken tunnelman.

Digitaalinen öljymaalaus, joka on tehty Corelilla.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home