Tuesday, December 13, 2005










WIP (Work In Progress) Pertti & Imppu

First stage

People often ask me how do I do my horse paintings. They won´t take "I paint" as an answer so I put here three pictures showing the work progress of one work, a pastel painting. These horses are Finnish coldblood horses. They both compete in field events and they are an inseparable duo. They are rather cheeky characters - but then again that is no news to anyone in the world of horses...
These are the same horses I mentioned in my post about the farrier´s visiting cards - he is the other owner.

Here you see the first stage where I have made my drawing and added a little color and the basic shadows and some lights too.

Second stage

Here I just deepen the color with many many thin layers of pastel color.


Third stage...

... is where I mostly concentrate on the light. I want the horses to glow beautifully and sometimes this is the stage that finally brings the painting to life.


***
Ensimmäinen vaihe

Minulta kysytään usein, miten oikein teen maalaukseni. Jostain syystä vastaus "minä maalaan" ei oikein kelpaa, joten laitan tähän kolme kuvaa näytiksi yhden maalauksen edistymisestä, kyseessä on pastellimaalaus. Nämä hevoset ovat suomenhevosia. Kumpikin kilpailee kenttälajeissa ja hevoset ovat erottamattomat kaverukset. Luonteeltaan ne osaavat olla melko ilkikurisia - mutta sehän ei ole uutta kenellekään joka hevosmaailmassa liikkuu...
Nämä ovat samat hevoset, jotka mainitsin postissani kengittäjän käyntikortista - hän on hevosten toinen omistaja.

Tässä näet maalauksen ensimmäisen vaiheen, jossa olen tehnyt piirroksen ja lisännyt hiukan väriä ja perusvarjot sekä hiukan valokohtia.


Toinen vaihe

Tässä syvennän väriä maalaamalla monta monta ohutta pastellikerrosta toistensa päälle.


Kolmannessa vaiheessa...

...keskityn pääasiassa valoon. Haluan, että hevoset hohtavat kauniisti ja joskus tämä on se vaihe, jolloin maalaus vasta todella herää henkiin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home